Custom Fabricated Spiral Stairs & Platforms for the Power Industry
TMI Contractors was commissioned by a customer in the power industry to complete the custom fabrication of spiral stairs and platforms. The stairs would provide safe access to tank valves and equipment for company personnel. This project was an intricate mix of heavy steel construction and finer steel elements. A high degree of detailing work was carried out to fully specify all aspects of the project, including 3D modeling. A number of processes and advanced equipment were employed to accurately manufacture the components. Materials furnished for this project included carbon steel W beams, plates, channels, pipes, and angles; carbon steel bar grating, and cast aluminum abrasive stair nosing. The grating, stairs, and handrails were also galvanized to provide enhanced corrosion resistance. Weldable primer was applied to the bottom of the 1" flanges on agitator support platforms to allow for field welding, and a specialized 3 part paint system of zinc, epoxy, and urethane was employed to coat the remainder of the platforms.
Completed stairs were fully tested for integrity and accuracy, including dimension and layout inspection, visual weld inspection, WFT and DFT paint inspections, and temperature, dew point, and humidity readings taken 3 times per shift. Inspection records were kept for reference. 12 sets of 55 ft spiral steps were ultimately fabricated for this project, for tanks 16' to 45' in diameter. Also supplied were agitator platform steel, grating and handrails. The stairs were shipped in sections with the handrails attached over a 6 month period to the customer in Western US. For more about this spiral stairs fabrication, or the other versatile capabilities of our structural steel fabricating methods please see the table below or contact us directly.Request Quote
Custom Fabricated Spiral Stairs & Platforms Project Highlights
- Product Name
- Spiral Stairs and Platforms
- Product Description
- These stairs are used to allow company personnel to safely access the valves and equipment on the side and top of various tanks.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
Structural Steel Fabrication
Miscellaneous Steel Fabrication
Painting (3-Part: Zinc, Epoxy, Urethane)
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
Plate, angle and pipe rolls
Stick and MIG Welders
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Stairs for tanks from 16' Diameter to 45' Diameter.
- Tightest Tolerances
- +0 and -1/8"
- Materials Used
- Cast Aluminum Abrasive Stair Nosing
Carbon Steel Plate, Channel, W Shaped Beams, Pipe, and Angle
Carbon Steel Bar Grating
Material Thickness: 1/4"
- Material Finish
- 3 Part Paint System on Tank Top Platforms
- In process testing/inspection performed
- 100% Dimension and Layout
- Visual Weld Inspection
- WFT and DFT Paint Inspection Records
- Temperature, Dew Point and Humidity Readings three times per shift.
- Industry for Use
- 12 sets of 55 ft. spiral steps for tanks and agitator platform steel, grating and handrails
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- Shipped in sections with handrail attached over a six month period.
- Delivery Location
- Western United States
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications